Detroit Blight Authority prepares for another demolition blitz, chairman says at Mackinac Policy Conference - M Live
The Detroit Blight Authority will announce the next area to be targeted in a demolition blitz within the next month, the nonprofit's chairman said Wednesday at the Mackinac Policy Conference.
Bill Pulte hopes his nonprofit Detroit Blight Authority will receive a bulk of the $100 million in federal dollars for blight demolition announced Thursday.
Ten blocks of vacant and derelict houses in Detroit were wiped out in February, and another 15 blocks will be bulldozed this month. Such mass demolition is an emerging strategy in American cities plagued with blight: The only way to rebuild is to destroy first.
The nonprofit Detroit Blight Authority is helping to pay to tear down abandoned buildings and clear away debris to make the city cleaner and safer.
Bill Pulte read a news article last year about a girl who was afraid walking to school everyday because of the blight in her neighborhood, and he decided to do something about it
Two new Detroit Blight Authority project areas are to be announced Monday morning in a news conference with Bill Pulte, the nonprofit's founder and chairman. U.S. Sen. Carl Levin will join Pulte for the announcement.